This activity certainly proved to be a very daunting task. I thought I possessed proficient computer skills one week ago. That self-assessment was proven false the first day of class. The unfortunate reality is that I am not, and never was, proficient with the computer. I admit that I never thought ‘outside the box’ nor did I ever challenge myself to learn more about technology.
While challenging myself to utilize the tools introduced in class and subsequently think outside the box, I touched on Standard 2a of the International Society for Technology in Education’s teacher standard. This activity required that I design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity (ISTE, 2008). The lesson plan was designed to encourage students to evaluate their eating habits and challenge them to make healthy choices. The spreadsheet activity provided students with graphics to illustrate the discrepancy between their food choices and dietary guidelines. The students were also tasked with creating a healthy meal plan and documenting the nutritional content in a new spreadsheet.
I learned that technology could be incorporated in any lesson plan, given the appropriate learning targets and objectives. Technology can be used throughout the lesson plan, from the anticipatory set to the closing activity. The organization of a prepared lesson plan helps determine the appropriate and most effective media to utilize.
The preparation for this activity began with one of the first tools introduced in class, Delicious. The tool made it effortless to bookmark and tag relevant sites for my lesson plan. The shortcuts introduced expedited my searches, as well as time spent editing my blog and website. Finally, the introduction to the world beyond Google facilitated faster and relevant search results.
I disliked the amount of time spent on this activity. In hindsight, there is a lot that I would change in regards to time management. I would have created my lesson plan before I explored the fascinating and copious amount of website creators. I spent many hours exploring sites such as Moonfruit, Doodlekit, and Weebly. Finally, the amount of frustration I experienced was the least liked component of the activity.
As resistant as I was to in the past to tools foreign to me, I must admit that I am grateful for the introduction of these new skills. I appreciate that I know more about technology than I did a week and a half ago. I enjoyed the challenge to think outside the box and outside of my Google-based comfort level. I believe the new skills will enable me to ensure the diverse student population I work with are successful. According to the Center for Applied Research in Educational Technology (2005), multimedia and video techniques can improve reading comprehension and vocabulary for diverse learners in a variety of settings. The reality is that to be an effective teacher, I must continue to grow, learn, and increase my technology repertoire.
References
Nets for Teachers 2008. (2008). International Society for Technology in Education. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/content/navigationmenu/nets/forteachers/2008standards/nets_for_teachers_2008.htm
Center for Applied Research in Educational Technology. (2005). Topic: Curriculum and Instruction. CARAT: Center for Applied Research in Educational Technology. Retrieved from
Hi:
ReplyDeleteVery nicely written.
-j-