Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sky is the limit - The benefits of assistive technology

A revised lesson plan that is inclusive of the specific assistive technology device, dictated by the Individualized Education Plan, fosters the least restrictive environment for students with disabilities. Among other things, the least restrictive environment ensures that students with disabilities are equipped with the tools to participate in the lesson and meet objectives. In addition to the assitive technology device, it is critical to ensure that the furniture is of proper ergonomic design and position. Lastly, in order to ensure active participation from all students, the lesson plan should include multiple activities to support the unique needs and multiple intelligences of the students.

The revised activity allows for the opportunity for the exceptional student to learn in the classroom with his or her peers. The revised lesson plan utilizes a variety of strategies to ensure participation from all students. For example, a teacher would provide a buzzer, bell, or other device to signal the next contestant for a review game. As a student, I participated in many games that required a mad dash to complete­ a math problem on the board. A student who is not ambulatory may not have the opportunity to participate without accommodations.

As a teacher of students with assistive technology devices, I plan to incorporate more interactive activities. I also plan to increase the inclusion of technology in the classroom to allow all students the opportunity to learn through different media. In addition, identifying student leaders in the class to learn the functions of the AT device in order to mentor their peers may strengthen peer relationships and foster an interest in technology. Lastly, I would encourage and actively participate in available professional development to ensure that I am current on assistive technology.

I will utilize the following steps to plan an activity that is inclusive of students with disabilities. First, I will plan the objectives after identifying the standards and learning targets as well as reviewing the IEP of exceptional students in the class. During this step I will also identify and create the formative and summative assessments for the activity. Next, I will plan activities ensuring appropriateness. I will adjust the room arrangement if needed and obtain all necessary supplies. Then I plan to obtain and input all new material in the assistive technology devices. Finally, I plan to consult the assigned AT T/A (technical assistant) and consultant resource teacher in order to obtain feedback and additional resources if necessary.

I plan to evaluate a number of criteria in order to assess the appropriateness of the revised activities. First, I will assess student engagement. I will answer the following questions. Was the student actively engaged? Was the student an active participant? Next, I will look at existing data and compare with the student’s performance on this task. Does student performance reflect progress dictated by the unique goals and objectives stated in the IEP? Finally, I will assess student performance using a rubric in order to determine achievement of objectives.

References

Edutopia. (2007). Assistive-Technology: Enabling Dreams Assistive-Technology: Enabling Dreams. Edutopia. Retrieved from

http://www.edutopia.org/assistive-technology-enabling-dreams-video

1 comment: